Thursday, January 30, 2014

anthropomorphism

I once met Bud Luckey.

He's most famous as the chief character designer on many of the Pixar movies.

Toy story, Cars, Mosters Inc and the Incredibles, amongst others.

As an ad nerd I was more excited to be meeting the creator of Tony The Tiger from the Frosties ads.

Bud's ouvre is anthropomorphism.

A word that should be familiar to us in advertising.

The attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.

It should have been familiar to me, indeed I was once scolded by Mr Dodds for not knowing the word.

My only excuse being that I was used to the easier to understand 'personification', which means kinda the same thing.

Anyway, I wonder what Bud would make of this real ticket barrier on the London Underground's Jubilee line that sings Blur's 'Song 2'.



blog comments powered by Disqus