Thursday, June 04, 2009

And not the words of one who kneels.


An important, yet often forgotten, point for marketers to note when building brand platforms, brand experiences, communications strategies, tactics and whatever, is this: 99% of the time no one really gives a shit about you. 

All I care about is me. MY opinion. MY data. MY privacy. MY preference. What's in it for ME? Why should i pay with MY attention? When are you going to listen to ME? You want permission to talk to ME?

I'll only share something if it says something about ME. If it makes ME look good, or there's a something in it for ME. Does this product or service fit in to MY life somehow? If I can do it MY way then I might be interested. Humans are pretty much always motivated by self-interest and selfishness, even in what seem to be acts of altruism. 

Even when people choose to help others, they do so ultimately because of the personal or reputational benefits that they expect to obtain, directly or indirectly.

 [The pic - poor Sid, God rest his soul - is the slide I am starting to use in pressos to illustrate]

blog comments powered by Disqus